Wednesday, January 14, 2009

2 columns and one gigantic criticism


I know deference, I know when I read something that has a superior depth of thought and experience, combined with style, that my position shifts like mirrors on the sun, and my purpose is like them, to shine the light on others.

David Denby, the movie critic of the New Yorker and author of other books, has written a short book called "Snark." Why, you may ask, would you want to read a book on something that has become the tedious style of internet sites and even mainstream media? Something, I would argue, that leaks its way into people's own mannerisms. It doesn't sound like a nice book, except if you've found that the tendency is ruining the things you love.

The book is fantastic. The book is concise and fun to read. It is thoughtful and yet not difficult. It struggles to completely define Snark, but it succeeds to give a general idea of its habits. And, what's more, Denby holds up Maureen Dowd (in her own chapter no less) as the reigning queen of Snark. His criticism of her is balanced and devastating.

It helps to read this chapter because, though so many of us dislike Maureen Dowd, it's hard to think of all the reasons why. Well, he is very clear in them. I don't want to spoil it. The book is on my coffee table, feel free to read it!

-----

To sum up my problems with Maureen Dowd's past two columns, she shows that while she's angry about the last eight years and specifically at members of the Bush Admin, she works to avoid talking to them. She's right next to them, and yet, instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt to answer a question, she judges them by their looks and by the last eight years. Fair enough, but, there's no point in it. Not so much an opinion as an exclamation.

Her latest column, again with the Clintons. She mixes praise with wary criticism. For an opinion columnist, she's very hard to pin down.

-----

David Denby has sacked me for words. I feel good reading his book, it gives me new direction. For those who enjoy expressing themselves through writing and now, I'm sad to say, talking and Facebooking, this book acts as a friendly self-check. How much snark do I post? When I made a comment about Jacques Brel the other day, I snarked him and his fans (which there are so many). True, I don't really like French or Belgian pop music standards. But I do like Musette. Why did I shut the door on myself?

So, this book comes highly recommended from me.

And, for that matter, so do his movie criticisms in the New Yorker.

No comments: