Friday, January 16, 2009

Where is the point where youth expires?


I am known to eat what I want, when I want, and in large quantities. I have always felt that the 3rd level of super-size was an appropriate development of the fast-food franchise. I do not approve of McDonald's bending to criticism from liberal yahoos who videotape themselves having a panic attack and gaining weight. The food is still bad for you! It's not like the regular size will make you thin. Super-sizing is a qualified judgement call for people already able to eat the food.

The persistent question remains: is anyone who cares about their cardiac health allowed to eat that stuff in any quantity?

According to a new article in the NY Times hammering home the Mediterranean diet, "no." The US and Finland, two countries with excellence written all over them, kill themselves with saturated fat and not enough vegetable fat.



Over the years, as people gladly filled my plate for the third time, I had a very, very small voice wondering if I was doing something bad for myself. But people like my parents would reassure me, that at this point, in my youth, it was OK to eat in large quantities.

Unlike when I was twenty, nowadays I think that part of my youth is coming to nigh. Oh, the Mediterranean regime will be difficult for me, but I think this is the next step in the Wellmus "Life Playbook."



As long as the Feta comes in large quantities, I may survive.

2 comments:

Lillie said...

mmmm... champagne glass full of oil... mmmm...

Anonymous said...

remember in 'Super Size Me' when he showed how much sugar was in one of those giant sodas? i almost threw up.

mediterranean is doable. think greek salads, olive oil, some red wine and lots of fish. pita? i don't know if that's what a mediterranean diet is, but it sounds good!